10 Jun How to appear confident (when you’re scared shitless)
Sometimes, when we need to show up with confidence—but it’s hard when you don’t feel confident inside. It’s hard to channel a little bravado, when confidence is nowhere in sight! Before you freak out, cancel, or call in sick, tahe a deep breath, count to ten, and let the panic pass. You’ve got this.
When your amazingness doesn’t show up on cue, there are a few things you can do to coerce that light to shine through. Don’t let that hag in the attic stop you; it’s time to fight back!
Here’s how to appear confident when you’re not feeling it:
- Dress sharp. Go into your closet and find something that makes you feel amazing. I know you have at least one outfit that it also sorts of Shazam! Put your fancy underwear on underneath (You know the ones!). Instant confidence boost!
- Write a personal commercial. Write a 30-60 second speech that highlights your amazingness. Get your butt in front of a mirror and read it aloud. I know this may sound hokey but it really works.
- Focus on gratitude. Make a list of the things you are thankful for. Focus on all the good stuff. I strongly recommend writing in a gratitude journal daily.
- Work out. Fitness has a huge effect on self-confidence—and this is coming from someone who used to hate to exercise. Heck, don’t worry about the gym, just have an impromptu dance party! Move your body and your mood and confidence will follow. (For the long term, find something you enjoy and a supportive environment and see what happens.)
- Do something for others. One sure way of putting your self-doubt aside is to help out. Random acts of kindness rock both you and the other person.
- Acknowledge your feelings. Just accept that today you’re not feeling so amazing. Own it. When you talk about how your’e feeling, the hag in the attics shuts up. Reach out. We need each other; you cannot do it alone.
- Watch something that makes you laugh!! It’s infectious.
These are just a few things you can do to shift you back into your amazingness. Sometime you just have to fake it until you feel it.