10 ways to improve your life!
Albert Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The reality is that nothing in your life is going to change unless you start to do things differently. Your life shouldn’t be running you; you should be running your life. If you want different results, if you want to get your life under control and get out of your own way and get on with it, it is time to make some changes.
The idea of radical life change is scary and getting your head around it may be hard.
Trust me: Once you start to make a change and step into it, the fear will subside. Really. I know this from first hand experience: the voice in your head will try to talk you out of anything that is different. It will run you through all the worst case scenarios just to try to keep you doing the same old thing. Tell that voice to piss off.
It is a New Year and we are inundated with promises of life change. You’ve seen the sales pitches: “Sign up and radically change your life!” or “Improve your life in just 100 days!” and more. Just sign up, whip out your credit card and you can have the life of your dreams. Apparently, “it’s that easy”. (It’s not, by the way). If it was that easy, we’d all be doing it.
There is no quick fix. However, you can start by realizing that you’re the one stopping yourself from achieving your goals (Sorry to break it to you). The good news is: that means you are also the one who can change things for the better.
Here are my top 10 tips on getting out our your own way. They’re free. They’re baby steps. Start today!
- Take stock – Is your life the way you want it to be?
- Make a list – What do you want? If you don’t know, it’s time to figure it out. We only get one shot at this life.
- Ditch the excuses – What’s stopping you from getting what you want? Enough excuses; it is time to get on with it.
- Figure out what the excuses are about – It’s never just “I don’t have time”. Ask yourself “why?” Why don’t I have time? It’s time to start digging into the why.
- Spend some time with you – Stop the day-to-day crap for an hour and spend that time doing nothing. Just be with you for an hour.
- Figure out what is important – News flash: no one is going to make you a priority if you don’t. So it’s time to make you a priority.
- Take pause – Doing more does not make you more. It’s that simple. Take pause.
- Assess your relationships – Look at the people around you. Do they support what you want? Have you told them what you want?
- Start sharing what you want with others – Talk about what is important to you.
- Connect with the right people – If you want something different and don’t know how to get there find someone to help you, no one can do it alone.
Start here. Getting out of your own way and going for the life that you deserve isn’t easy but it IS doable. stop, take a deep breath and make one small change today that will support your dreams.