When you’re scared shitless
When you’re scared shitless, move forward.
Have you ever wanted something so much yet you were too afraid to do it?
Maybe it’s something risky and active like bungee jumping or skydiving, something vulnerable like telling someone you love them or that, perhaps, you don’t love them anymore, or something entirely new like starting a business or making a career move.
We may not all be afraid of the same things, but fear runs a common course. Fear loves worst case scenarios. It will take you down the rabbit hole of what ifs, could haves, should haves, and try tos. It’ll say loudly “you can’t” and “don’t even bother trying” and “run now!” It will try to make you stay in the same place; the safe place, forever.
Tell fear to fuck off.
You can choose to let fear stop you or to push fear aside and leap. Once you step into fear, it subsides. As you face it, fear dissipates. As you feel it, breath through it. Tell yourself this fear will pass. Because it will.
A few tips to face your fear:
- Tell the voice in your head to go to hell. You can do this! I find a mantra works well, like the little train that could – I think I can I think I can. Your mantra can be whatever works for you.
- Realize that the outcome is not the focus. It is taking that step into what you want, taking the leap.
- Stay present. Don’t let your mind go to the place of fear. Be with what your doing now.
- Keep breathing.
- Look ahead. If you continue to allow fear to dictate what you do what will you life look like in 5 or 10 years?
- Keep moving. The fear never goes away. You don’t stop being scared, you choose to keep moving forward regardless for the fear.
Once you realize you can live life without being ruled by your fear, you can take the leap and see what the next amazing thing happens.
Ask yourself: If you live life avoiding fear are you truly living?