Being Good to the Planet is Good for Business
In celebration of Earth Day, I want to share some little things that can make a difference – to the planet and to business. Win-win!
When I first started my mortgage business, I purchased carbon credits to offset our footprint. I made choices to reduce my footprint – and my business’ footprint – in other ways: I drove a Smart Car; our family purchased a hybrid vehicle; we recycled like it was religion; I chose to package things less. Naysayers told me I was wasting money, time, and energy. That these were poor business decisions. I truly believe that every little bit helps. I’m a fan of the Do-What-You-Can philosophy.
You can do these things. I know you can!
- Switch to post-consumer waste products for printing, paper products and packaging. If you have to use paper, choose post-consumer.
- Go paperless. We only print if it’s imperative. Else, everything is digital.
- Use biodegradable cleaners. They’re better for the environment and better for the people. A no-brainer!
- Use LED lights. When the old ones burn out, replace them with LEDs. You’ll save money in the long run and be nicer to Mother Nature while you’re at it.
- Drink tap water. (OMG – I know!) I keep a jug on my desk and refill it. It just makes sense.
- When we moved into our new building, they did not have a recycling program. So I personally ordered bins and we rallied all tenants to participate. Don’t sit; act!
It’s Earth day – be part of the problem or part of the solution. (I highly recommend the latter.)