Stop waiting; start doing
“It feels dangerous to show up. But it’s not as terrifying as thinking, at the end of our lives, ‘What if I had shown up? What would have been different?'”
This quote is with me most days. I think of it when I am waiting to start something new and when I’m thinking of all the reasons NOT to do the thing I want to do. When my fear is a black cloud that I’m too afraid to walk through, I remember this quote. And I show up.
Starting is the hardest part. It’s a cliché for a reason. There are a million reasons NOT to start—you can wait for more time, more money, and for the stars to align to utter perfection. But you’ll be waiting a long time. Overthinking is the death of start lines.
The harsh reality is: we don’t know if we will be here tomorrow so today is the day, my friends! Today, you start. This isn’t melodrama; it’s reality. Life truly is short and regret isn’t pretty. I think often of my brother and how suddenly we lost him. There are no guarantees, so for the love of God, get out there (today!!) and do it.
Stop waiting and get on with it!!
Here are some tips to get going:
- Make a decision. Stop over thinking it and just decide. Doing something is better than just standing in the indecision.
- Get on with it. You made the decision, now act on it. The longer you wait the more you will build it up in your head and find every excuse not to do it.
- Make time for it—now! Get up a half hour earlier or find the time in your day. You’re in charge of your schedule, no one else. There is always time, if you truly want it.
- Acknowledge the fear and walk through it. The more you sit in the fear, the bigger it becomes. Once you step into the fear, it dissipates. Trust me: The fear is way bigger in your head than it is in reality. Slay the dragon.
- Find the money. If you truly believe in it, the money will come. I am not saying go shopping. What I am saying is if you want it, you will find a way to afford it. If it’s a course or an opportunity, figure it out! If you want it, you will make it happen.
- Spend some time with what you want. Get your journal out and start writing! Make a list, write a story, draw a picture. It doesn’t matter. Just allow yourself some time and space to be with you.
Today is the day. The best day to start. Don’t wait; it may be too late.