Channel your inner pitbull
I am like a dog with a bone. Once I decide to do something, I just do it. I have many faults, but getting things done is not one of them. I am a firm believer of “Just do it.” This has worked well for me in my day to day and in going after the big goals, the big vision.
So what if you’re not hard-wired like me to just get on with it? Don’t fret: Inside every one there is a kick ass source of strength, energy, and determination! You just need to access this. (And you can!) If I had a magic wand, I’d give it to you but alas there isn’t one so here are a few tips:
- Stop thinking about it and just do it. How much time have you wasted by running it in your head a million times? This is time you could be doing something fun with. So… choose fun.
- Have a plan. Then work the plan. Don’t have a plan? Get one.
- Have some idea of where you want to go. What is the end result you want? Think about it and then go for it.
- If you have a plan or a goal and you are still not doing what you need to do, it’s time to relook at the goal. If you’re not motivated to do anything, it is most likely not the right goal—for now or maybe for ever. Choose a goal that excites you.
- Make a vision board. I am a huge fan of vision boards; they do not have to be stuff—they can be a mishmash of words, feelings, and inspiration. If you don’t have one, make one.
- Make a list. Tackle 3 things every day on that list that will take you a step forward toward where you want to be.
- Spend some time with yourself with the intention of getting really clear on what you want. It feels amazing to work toward your goal and to truly enjoy it.
- Do the stuff you don’t want to do. Sometimes we have to do things we don’t want to. For me, it’s paperwork. I hate it. But it’s got to get done. Just do it and get on with the stuff you love. (Or hire an amazing assistant like mine.)
The reality is: We get in our own way a lot. We climb into our heads, overthink things to death, and drag our heals. Do something different, start today and just get it done.